This Blog is Dead, follow me at my new blog

You can now follow my adventures at my new blog, http://julianapena.com/

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Trip down memory lane: Firefox 0.9


You may not believe this, but I am currently blogging from Firefox 0.9. Today, whilst organizing my chaotic collection of CD-ROMs I stumbled upon an old backup disk with the installer for this quite outdated version of Firefox. This was also the first version of Firefox I ever used (well, the first version anyone used for that matter, it wasn't called 'Firefox' until this version, but this was the first version of the browser I used, Phoenix, Firebird or Firefox). Anyway, I'm extremely impressed at how awfully fast this browser is. This just goes to show how bloated software becomes with the years. Also, I think the tabs in this version are the best in the whole of Firefox history (in looks, but unfortunately not functionality). They're simply... native.


Firefox 0.9 boasts a great array of features, including:

  • Built-in search box
  • Minimalistic user interface
  • Tabbed browsing
  • Themable
  • Extendable
  • A pop-up blocker
  • A Download manager (which really hasn't changed at all since then)
  • Cotumizable toolbars
So, in escence, Firefox hasn't changed much. It's just gotten bloated. Firefox 2 is way too slow. Firefox 3 is a little faster. But the question remains: will it ever be as fast as it was in its beginings?

And don't forget: Cookies are delicious delicacies.

(Please forgive any spelling mistakes in this post: Firefox 0.9 has no spellchecker. :) )